Loading Firmware code to the LCB eeprom
Updated on May 6, 2021, 7:55 pm
Loading the PROM Code
1) Point the Impact tool to the systemBuildFilename.ipf tool by right clicking the "Configure Target Device"/"Properties" menu item.
2) Load Impact and confirm that the boundary scan devices have the correct file associations, systemBuildFilename.mcs and systemBuildFilename.bit.
3) Right click the xcf32p device and select "Programming Properties". Make sure the following boxes are checked:
- Erase Entire Device
- Parallel Mode
- During Configuration: PROM is Slave
All other check boxes should be clear
4) Right click on the xcf32p device, select "Load Configuration Revision", and set to 0.
5) Right click on the xcf32p device, select "Set Erase Properties", and set to Erase Entire Device.
6) Right click on the xcf32p device and select "Program" to program the device. This operation will take a few minutes.
Creating the PROM Programming MCS File
This is the procedure to create the PROM MCS file from the FPGA BIT file.
1) In the "Processes" window of the Xilinx ISE project navagator, click on "Configure Target Device" and then double click "Generate Target PROM/ACE File. This will start the Impact tool and display a Welcome page.
2) Select "Prepare a PROM File" and clock Next.
3) A new page is displayed to prepare the PROM files. Set the following:
- Target - click "Xilinx PROM" radio button
- PROM File Format - click "MCS" radio button
- Checksum Fill Value - set to FF
- PROM File Name - type in the filename, typically systemBuildName_VerXXX.
- Location - browse to the directory where the BIT file is located, usually the SystemBuild directory.
4) Select the PROM mode page - set the following:
- I am using a Xilinx PROM in a Parallel Mode.
- The data bus width for my FPGA is The same as the data width for my PROM device.
5) Specify Xilinx PROM Device page - set the following:
- Set the Enable Revisioning check box.
- Set the Number of Revisions to 2.
- Select a PROM in the pulldown menus "xcfp" and "xcf32p [32M]", and click Add. Position 0 and Part Name xcf32p should appear in the field.
6) A file generation summary is displayed - click finish.
7) The PROM file formatter is launched and a pop-up to start adding device file to Revision:0 is displayed. Click OK.
8) The files in the project location directory are displayed. Select the appropriate BIT file and click OPEN.
9) Another pop-up appears Would you like to add another design file to Revision 0:? Click NO
10) Another pop-up appears Start adding device file to Revision:1. Click OK.
11) The files in the project location directory are displayed again. Select the same BIT file as in step 8 and click OPEN.
12) Another pop-up appears Would you like to add another design file to Revision 1:? Click NO.
13) Another pop-up appears You have completed the device file entry - click OK.
14) In the "Configuration Operations" tab of the ISE Navigator double-click on the Generate File operation. This will complete the process and a window should pop-up indicating that it succeeded.